The village, built at an altitude of 960 meters, was inhabited in about 1620 by shepherds’ families from the village of Gavrisioi and Petsali, who had as a leader, a landowner named Bultsis. In the middle of the 18th century, they settled in the present location of the village. They joined Viniko and gave away 18 Vonian people and who were later replaced with 100 white coins (Turkish currency). The rich vegetation allowed them to deal with woodworking, known as “materades”.
Their leader, named Karakostas, had a great influence on Ali Pasha and consequently, only them were allowed to leave the Castle of Ioannina during the night. Later, many villagers occupied themselves with the commerce, with companies in Giannena and elsewhere. Many immigrated to Macedonia, Thrace, Romania, Russia.
During the 18th and 19th century, the village flourishes. Mansions and churches are built (Saint George’s Church 1806). Three schools, a Primary School and a Girls’ School operated at the time. The School was housed in a building that does not exist today. The primary school operated there before 1840, but in a more organized and complete way, functioned during the years 1852-1858. Due to its wealthy inhabitants, the village was one of the main targets of the bandits that were ravaging the wider region, after the Turks withdrew the provided privileges.
On July 15, 1943, on the same day as the Asprangeli, the village was burnt by the Germans, and as a result, 56 houses were burned houses and a person died.