The old name of the village was Dragari, while nowadays, it is called Kastanonas because of the many chestnut trees in the area. Drougarios Michael, a Byzantine officer, was the founder of the village as well as the church of the Virgin Mary.
In 1870 the village had 310 inhabitants.
The inhabitants in the past immigrated to Romania and Asia Minor and are engaged in viticulture, carpentry and logging.
Pine trees, firs, beeches, chestnuts, walnuts create the image of an alpine village.
Important monuments of the village are the church of Panagia and Saint Athanasios (1798).