According to tradition, the village, built at an altitude of 940 meters, grew from the concentration of the surrounding villages, Karapoulos, and especially Smolisos, which was dissolved because “fiery demons” appeared.
In the locations “Gorgia” and “Lakia Spanou” there are archaeological findings of tombs of the 11th – 12th century. The findings are kept at the Archaeological Museum of Ioannina. They are located on the outskirts of a rural road called “royal road” (a road linking Epirus with Thesalia).
In the 14th century the area was fortified to protect against the raids of the Turks and Albanians. Its inhabitants in the 15th century immigrated with residents of Ano Soudena to Kalavrita of Achaia due to incidents with a Turkish officer.
On August 29, 1944 the Germans burned down the village, ruining 8 houses and killing 3 people.